Lifelong learning is essential to a nurse’s continuing competence.
CLPNPEI’s Continuing Competence Program (CCP) exists to ensure that PEI’s LPNs retain and continuously build upon their knowledge, judgment and skill. The program also ensures that LPNs remain up-to-date on evolving evidence and best-practice in their field. This contributes to high-quality, safe care for Islanders.
PEI LPNs maintain and build their competence by:
- maintaining a professional portfolio,
- applying their knowledge, judgment and skill through active practice
(at least 1,000 hours in the previous five-years)
- completing self-assessments
- developing personal professional learning plans,
- meeting their learning goals, and
- reflecting on their practice.
All LPNs are asked to declare on their annual registration renewal form that they engage in CCP activities to maintain their registration with the CLPNPEI.
The CLPNPEI is required to establish a continuing competence program under section 60 of The Regulated Health Professions Act.
In order to monitor participation in continuing competence activities, the CLPNPEI will conduct an annual review referred to as the CCP Audit. The first audit will take place in 2020.
Continuing Competence Program (CCP) Audit Committee:
In preparation for the first CCP Audit in 2020, the CLPNPEI will be establishing a CCP Audit Committee. CCP auditors are active practising LPNs who will review and assess the CCP learning plans and activities of their peers during the annual CCP Audit. The Audit is scheduled to occur in June 2020. CCP auditors carry out their role at the CLPNPEI office in Charlottetown.
This role may be a good fit for you if you are:
- able to carry out the role in a manner that serves and protects the public interest above all else
- flexible with your schedule and able to attend the occasional daytime meeting,
- able to arrange for your own transportation, and
- prepared to serve for at least two years.
If you can see yourself in this role, please let us know by contacting the CLPNPEI at email@example.com