Licensed Practical Nurses are self-regulating health professionals which means the provincial government has granted the profession the privilege and responsibility to regulate themselves. In Prince Edward Island, LPNs, and many other health professionals, are regulated under the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA). Through the RHPA and Licensed Practical Nurse Regulations, the government established the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Prince Edward Island (CLPNPEI) as the regulatory authority for LPNs in the province. The College has the explicit mandate to carry out its work and govern its members in a manner that serves and protects the public interest.
Section 10(1)(i) of the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) authorizes the CLPNPEI Council to establish bylaws related to the management and operation of the College including bylaws establishing member fees. Section 12 of the CLPNPEI Bylaws sets out the schedule of fees established by the Council.
Schedule of Fees and Deadlines
- Initial Certificate of Registration Fee (due by March 1st) $450
- Initial Certificate of Registration Fee (Partial Year) $175*
- Renewal of Certificate of Registration Fee (due by March 1st) $450
- Late Penalty Fee for Renewal of Certificate of Registration Fee (March 2nd – March 31st) -includes Late Penalty Fee $100 + Renewal of Certificate of Registration Fee.
- Reinstatement of Certificate of Registration Fee – includes $200 Reinstatement fee + Certificate of Registration Fee)
- Unauthorized Practice Penalty Fee $500
- Out of Province Application Fee $150
- Credential Assessment Fee $350
- Verification of Registration Form Completion Fee $75
- Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE) Fee $400
- Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE) Fee $600 (in effect for the January 2022 Exam Administration)
- CPNRE Late Registration Penalty Fee $50
- CPNRE Did not write fee $75
- CPNRE Re-Scoring Fee $75
- Graduate Practical Nurse Certificate of Registration Fee (due by March 1st) $450
- Graduate Practical Nurse Certificate of Registration Fee (Partial Year) $175*
*Partial year is defined as a certificate of registration issued during the last three months of any registration year.
LPNs pay for the privilege of self-regulation annually through their registration fees. To find out more about the cost of self-regulation please read the Cost of Self-Regulation Practice Memo