If you wish to practice as a LPN in Prince Edward Island, you must apply to the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Prince Edward Island for a Certificate of Registration. You are required to maintain currency of professional knowledge and skill requirement by the completion of a minimum of 1,000 hours of practice in the previous five years. Information on the registration process is below.
If you are moving to Prince Edward Island from another country, please see information on the application process for internationally educated nurses
Apply for Certificate of Registration Process
You may not practice as a LPN in Prince Edward Island until you have been granted a Certificate of Registration by the CLPNPEI. To apply to practice in Prince Edward Island, an applicant must:
- Complete the General Registry Application Form and submit it along with your one hundred and fifty dollar ($150) application fee, proof of legal name, government issued photo ID, proof of immigration status or Canadian citizenship, and English language test scores from a Council-approved language proficiency test (if applicable) in order to open your registration application file.
- Provide a Canadian Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search. Please be aware that to be accepted by the CLPNPEI, these documents must have been issued within three (3) months of the date they are provided to the CLPNPEI.
- Submit a Verification of Registration .You must provide this form to your current or most recent registration / licensing authority, and any authority with whom you have been licensed/registered with. Each of these authorities must fill out the form and return it directly to the CLPNPEI.
- Submit a Employment Verification. You must provide this form to all your current or most recent employer(s), and to any employer(s) for whom you have worked in the last five (5) years. Each of these employers must fill out the form and return it directly to the CLPNPEI.
- All applicants must use the forms provided by the CLPNPEI and they must be complete.
Please be sure to read each document carefully and note that some documents must be submitted by you and others by third parties. If you require further information, please contact the Registrar by email email@example.com or by phone at 902-566-1512